Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Kerry in Rome First Night: Nov. 15, 2005

Hi, Everybody!
I made it to my hotel in Rome!
I had a sleepy 2 hour flight from Paris, but it was really bumpy coming in.

I had prearranged for a shuttle trip from the airport to my hotel. Boy, was that a good thing to do! At the airport, all these seedy-looking men in dark suits kept asking if I wanted a taxi. I was SO glad I didn't have to take one of them! I was the only one in the minivan, so I asked the driver to keep me aware of where I was on the map. It took an hour to get to the hotel. It was dark, heavy traffic and he drives fast, more aggressively than Larry! But he pointed out the sights as we went past, and St. Peter's and the Coliseum and the Wedding Cake were all lit up. It was lovely because you can't see the graffiti very well in the dark, and I enjoyed it.

Not saying that the hotel isn't very fancy, but it's made of 4 old pensions on top of each other, one per floor, in one building. It's only 2 short blocks from the train station, so the location is perfect, but . . . The man at the desk told me, when I go out the door, always turn right. I asked if it was unsafe to turn left, because I had seen lots of immigrants. He said no, it's not unsafe, but everything to buy is from China or India or Africa, and all the nicer things are to the right! So it's right on the edge of being seedy! I won't stay here again!

I took the most FABULOUS walk tonight! I walked about 6 blocks down to where I could look over into the old Roman Forum, and then I walked down and all the way around the Coliseum. It's all lit up at night and there was a full moon and it was gorgeous! I wished you were all here with me.

Shelley, on the way in, we passed the Benetton shop where you and I went. I think I can find it again.

Larry, I sure wished you were here tonight with me. It was SO romantic!

Troy, you would so have loved just wandering with me tonight! Remember wandering in Florence?

Wendy, on the airplane they announced everything in the native language of that country, then in English, and last of all in German! I thought that was odd.

Kim, you will appreciate how I am struggling right now trying to find all the right punctuation marks on this computer keyboard. At least the letters are the same!

Aaron, there are motorscooters EVERYWHERE. Herds of them! I think that's because all the parking places are already taken by cars no bigger than yours, so a Vespa is the way to go.

Lys, just for you, tomorrow I'm going to go stand in front of the Pieta' in St. Peter's Cathedral and turn around and look in all directions and call out "Alyssa, where are you?" Remember when you got lost there when you were 6 years old?

Heidi, you will be happy to know that there are internet spots EVERYWHERE! I passed at least 6 of them tonight.

Dad and Mom, keep in there pitching! We need you!

Well, it's 10:30 p.m. and I'm getting too tired, but I think I've beaten jet lag by staying up.
I'll write more later,
Kerry

No comments: