Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Kerry in Rome 2nd Night: Nov. 16, 2005

Hi my family and friends!
I about walked my feet off to the ankles today, but what I saw was worth it!

After breakfast in the nice breakfast room on the 2nd ( American 3rd) floor, I went 2 blocks over to the main train station to check it out. After wandering around for awhile, I bought an all-day bus & metro ticket for 4 euros.

This time I took the Metro to the Coliseum instead of walking. I bought a guided tour. It is so huge, seating 50,000. It was very cool to be there again. I wrote down lots that the tour guide said, so I can give the tour myself.

The Coliseum ticket also covers the Palatine Hill, so I went there next. It overlooks the Roman Forum. I wandered all over, enjoying few people and ruined Roman palaces and huge trees and a view overlooking the forum.

The Forum is free, and I walked all over it, reading Rick Steves' book and fending off both men and women wanting to be my guide. I must look like a foreigner with money. (As a matter of fact, most Italians have dark hair like Troy and Angela, and I have not seen one person with my color hair.) I was particularly impressed with the Arch of Constantine (commemorating when he beat Maxentius and became emperor, thus making the outcast Jewish sect of Christianity the state religion), the house of the Vestal Virgins, and the Arch of Titus.

The Arch of Titus commemorates his victory over Judah in 70 A.D. We know this as the destruction of Jerusalem.

I was trying to find the back way up onto the Wedding Cake, but it sure took me awhile. This is why I'm doing this trip now, so that when I have people following me, I can walk directly to the places I want to go. I went the long way around, knowing I'd have to end up on Michaelangelo's plaza, and I did. I finally found the back way up, and several other really cool things I wasn't even looking for, like the prison tank that held Peter and Paul, and the bronze statue of the she-wolf with Romulus and Remus. I learned how to use a Roman drinking fountain. You partially block the faucet with your finger, and then water squirts up through the little hole for you to drink. I plan to give someone a surprise on my next visit!

I found a lovely cafe on top, overlooking the city, and I was so hungry by 4:00 I didn't look too carefully at the sandwich I chose. What I took to be lots of tomato was only partially tomato. It tasted fishy. Then I really looked at it, and it was red, raw tuna! I was so starved I ate it anyway, hoping I wouldn't get sick!

Then I went backwards quickly through this pretty dull military museum inside the Wedding Cake, working from the top down. I came down to their memorial for the Unknown Soldier. I climbed up on a marble seat-looking area to get a better picture, and the police blew the whistle at me. I was sorry. I had read a sign that said no eating, sitting, lying down, being loud or dirty because of the special feeling they have for the area. I did not mean to be disrespectful. I apologized to the Carabinieri.

I went looking for the Benetton shop where Shelley and I had found such great sales. I found it, but alas, no sales. Everything seemed very high priced to me. I also found a big high-priced music/bookstore, where I finally found 2 posters for 12.50 euros each. I have not found any others, so I bought them. Aaack!

Since my ankles were dissolving, I decided to take the bus back toward the hotel, but had a hard time figuring out which bus to take. People keep answering me in English and offering help. I finally got on one, which was a real squeeze, as it was rush hour and packed and my coat and posters were caught in the door! It seemed like we rode forever, but we finally ended up at the main train station.

On the way back to the hotel I bought some great pizza with a white sauce and blue cheese. I found out that the reason the price looks so cheap, is that's the basic cost per ounce or something like that. (This I learned the hard way.) He asks you how much you want, and if he can, he'll sell you a big piece. Then he weighs it, and you get to pay like 4 times the price you thought because you got so much!

I had to go home and change my shoes because my feet were so tired. Then out again!

I decided to go to some good evening places. First by Metro to the Spanish Steps. What a waste! No flowers in winter, and not good lighting. Then to the Trevi Fountain. Now that was fabulous! You can hear the rush of the water before you find the fountain. No streets lead directly to it, so you can bet I had to wander to find it. Such beautiful white sculpture, clean water, beautifully lit. Many people, lovers with roses, someone playing the violin for money. I sat there a long time. Finally I went to find the famous pizza place. I think I did find it (same place as I remember) but it has been remodeled and doesn't look the same. Anyway, I had a great gelato (called "After Eight" - mint chocolate chip) and went back to the fountain to sit and enjoy some more of the lovely evening and eat gelato.

I decided to take the bus home, because I want to stay above ground to see as much as possible. Now I'm at the internet point across from my little hotel.

The weather threatened rain all day, but it never did it. That means the humidity is really high. I do not understand how these Romans dress. The temperature is just about perfect for walking - about 60-65 degrees. Today is Nov. 16 and they act like it's winter! Everyone is wearing long coats and leather jackets and turtleneck sweaters. Everyone who is not a laborer wears a suit and tie. On the bus I was so hot I literally had sweat running down my forehead, but they don't even take their coats off! Later I found out that today is the day that legally the heat must be turned on. It's amazing to me that the government regulates even the heat!

Well, I have to do laundry tonight, I should quit.
Love,
Kerry

No comments: