Tuesday, April 04, 2006

London I Got Here Safe, Mar. 22, 2006

I got here quite safe and quickly, only about 13 hours from SLC to London's Gatwick Airport. Took the train from Gatwick to London's Victoria Station. Weather was bright but very cold and breezy. Nice look at the countryside. I had forgotten how most Brits live in dingy-looking brick townhouses all conected to each other with a little narrow back garden.

Found the hotel just a couple blocks walk from the train station. I was turned around, so asked the proprietor which direction was North. She had no idea. I guess only Utah people tell directions by the actual directions!

Bought a hop-on-hop off bus tour on a red double-decker bus. They actually do use red busses here, and they go everywhere, as you can see in the picture. After 2 hours freezing up top, I moved down below where I couldn't see as well. I finally decided I had to come back to the hotel and get another layer of thermals on. I am wearing thermal tops, thermal bottoms, a turtleneck shir, a sweatshirt jacket, and my raincoat with gloves and the head thing. At least it's not raining today!

I saw lots of famous things today that were in the slides from my powerpoint. It was too cold to get off and go see them, but I want to go see the Rosetta Stone this afternoon.

I am leaving again to go do another round on the red double-decker. I've got it for free transportation for 24 hours, but it quits at 7 tonight.

No comments: